FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA: LAX-MIA-UIO RT Biz $858: 8256 flown miles
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:38 am
wanderlust4life

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by joetraveler99
Thank you all for the tips. Not sure what ' flying in vain' means, though. Yes, I 'volunteered' to be downgraded to Y to get out of UIO today and get home to LAX at approximately the same time as my original flight through JFK. But had I stayed and waited for the next J flight and kept the original routing, then I would've had to spend a miserable night in Miami either in a hotel (who pays?) or on the floor of the AC, and arrived home the next day. Not a pleasant scenario. Sounds like I'll have chase down any residual refunds, ORC, or possible vouchers once I get back.
Exactly! But you should always keep situations like this one in mind especially when playing the mileage run game. You would have gotten home "eventually" but it could take days!! And they would have provided hotel accommodation if it was sufficient enough meaning you could still sit in an airport all day somewhere as well. The same goes for when you miss a connection due to IRROPS and get routed on a more direct convenient routing and then you get to claim ORC and it works out to be beneficial!! You just never know until the situation arises.