FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Requirements for visiting Mexico 🇲🇽 as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa, etc.)
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyingHoustonian

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by LPCJr
It is for visitors as well. You retain the card until your return flight. The gate agent will collect it prior to boarding. There are no other exit procedures or questions involved.
But I am saying, I fly to Merida for business very often, and at MID it is not done at the gate, it is done in the terminal at a formal Federally manned immigration booth where they can, and sometimes do, ask questions on exit; thus my question above. In fact, my last trip to MEX, granted some time ago, and VER several weeks ago had the same Federal immigration officials at manned desks taking the cards well before the gate.

From what was said above, it seems like it is being promoted as always happening at the gate or by airline personnel which is not ('always') correct.