FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:56 pm
porciuscato

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by elitefreak
2. FA asks if they can hang up his suit jacket and he responds "not right now, maybe later". Later? (BTW, he never asked for it to be hung up).
These aircraft are sometimes freezing cold, so I often like to keep my jacket. Is there something really bad about not hanging your jacket?

3. FA takes lunch orders and BSET says "can I eat later?" to which FA says sure but it could take time to heat/etc. Dude, it's only a 5 hour flight, but anyway . . .
Most European airlines offer "executive dining" on all flights and United still advertises it on intl. flights (though UA FAs often try to claim they don't). So requesting it on a p.s. flight that could cost $3000+ hardly seems like DYKWIA behavior to me. The FAs can always say no. In fact, I've seen them say no to passengers in GlobalFirst, where it is a clearly advertised benefit.

https://unitedairtime.com/your-questions/we-at-our-company-spend-lots-of-money-on-united-global-first-and-businessfirst-seats-on-international-flights-the-expectation-is-that-we-are-productive-for-some-of-it-my-coworkers-and-i-have-noted-t/

4. THE MINUTE the FA starts to clean up the cabin of happily consumed gelato with toppings, BSET announces that he would like to eat now. Really?
This is only an issue if you think the FAs are entitled to spend the last 3 hours of the flight gossiping and doing crossword puzzles. If you think their job is to actually help passengers, this is hardly a problem.

5. And the piece de resistance, I'm watching a movie and I hear the FA gong ring. Then again, then again, then again. I realize that BSET has finished his delayed main course and needs his tray cleared immediately. Not a second of patience. Ring the FA call, ring again, ring again.
This is the only item that comes close to DYKWIA behavior. But then, I've had my completed meal sit on the tray table for over an hour before, so I kind of understand ringing the bell.

Last edited by porciuscato; Jul 30, 2016 at 4:13 pm