FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:42 pm
talfred

Just returned from this property 2 weeks ago for 5 nights and thought to just throw in a quick review.

Checked in via the Club lounge and was attended by Mona. Best person I dealt with from my entire stay, I see that she was also mentioned by earlier posts so good job to her!

Applied DSU so received a suite with ample living space though nothing impressive. For some strange reason the Nespresso machine is kept in the drawer so you need to plug it in manually (Incase you are looking for this). Received a bottle of wine and some nuts as welcome amenity.

Redundant living space (exactly identical) found in the Bedroom so we never used it, bathroom on the hand had a relatively good layout with Jacuzzi. Downside that it was only a single basin.

Visited the Grand Club for breakfast each morning and found options to be very repetitive. One thing to highlight is that there were No Eggs Made to Order! I had scrambled eggs a few days in a row and got very tired of it, one day they made poached eggs out of the kitchen but you had to ask for it (no notice or menus displayed). In any case, all Grand Clubs/Regency Clubs I've visited have eggs to order i.e. omelette, hard boil etc... so this was a disappointment.

Evening spreads was well appointed with frequent refills but inconsistent. On one night I guess the chef had lots of 'leftovers' so both hot dishes were the same. It was some paella rice dish with seafood, sausages, meat etc...

The last night night I was there surprised to find fresh oysters so the quality/selection of food does vary day to day. But quite good and on par with Asian properties. Desserts on the separate side of the lounge was consistent.

Overall service quality was just so-so-average (3.5*) if not quite artificial. Whatever you need just gets done and did not experience any service on a personalized/warmth level.

I guess this is the case with many western business properties and I'm a visiting Asian tourist

Overall I thought the location was a winner with easy access to trams and just blocks away from the famous streets!

If you are renting a car the hotel does not have any special in-house guest rates so you need to pay the regular prices or use their $50 daily valet (allows multiple entry)

Last edited by talfred; Jul 26, 2016 at 11:49 pm