FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Take the train from AMS to the Central Station?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:06 pm
Bakpapier

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by ewrfox
I'm looking at staying in Amsterdam for a night and would land in the afternoon. I'm also looking to stay near the central station, so can I buy a 1-Day Amsterdam Travel Ticket from discover holland and use it to get into the city and return? My confusion is the validity of the one day pass. Say I land at 3pm,does the pass run a full 24 hours to 3pm the next day, or is it till 4am the next day?

PS how is the weather in the first week of September?
Why buy that pass? Within Amsterdam center itself, you probably wont need to use transport (unless you are of limited mobility), as everything is pretty close together. And from the airport to the Centraal Station and back, you can just buy loose train tickets.

For visitors staying in Holland for extended amounts of time and doing lots of travelling, I would always reccommend to buy an OV Chipkaart (a rechargeable travel pass). Although this is quite expensive (6 euros) you can charge it with any amount of money you like and your travel will be MUCH cheaper than continuously buying loose tickets for train/subway/tram/bus. Just swipe it at the machine where you see everyone swipe their card until it goes BEEP and you're set, and don't forget to swipe when leaving the vehicle. You can keep the card for about 5 years I think until it expires, and it's just very convenient and a great investment if you will be travelling a lot. You can buy it at any cigarette shop or at supermarkt cigarette / service counters and any public transportation counter. You can charge it with money at the yellow ticket machines at AMS airport and at any train station or metro station or w/e.