FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ever been on a Flight which had to Detour for an emergency ?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:27 am
kaija

Programs: HH Diamond, Delta Gold
My husband and I were on a nonstop Delta flight from PHX to MSP a couple of years ago. About 30 minutes into the flight an announcement was made requesting a doctor or nurse for assistance. Soon a second announcement came over the intercom. I am a retired RN so raised my hand. The FA came over to our seats (3A andC) and looked at my husband ( who had NOT raised his hand) and asked if he was a physician. After ascertaining that my
lawyer/magistrate hubby was of little use in the situation, she asked me to accompany her to row 27. She told me the captain needed to know if they should divert to Denver for a patient maybe having a heart attack so would I please advise. No pressure on me after hearing that!

They had cleared the seats by the woman so I sat with her. She was breathing very rapidly and shallowly, had chest heaviness, tingling in hands, and was very anxious. Long story short, she was hyperventilating. She responded well and I told the FA that we would likely
be ok to go on to MSP. I sat with her for over an hour until she was relaxed enough and had fallen asleep. Then I returned to my seat.
The FA thanked me and said she was authorized to give me a voucher for my services: would I like $25 or $50 or $75? I replied that nothing was necessary and that I was glad it was turning out positively. She said, "no. I will give you a voucher." She soon returned with
a $25 voucher and offered me the snack basket since I had missed my meal.

On landing the captain and co captain offered their sincere thanks, which was very nice.

While there was no expectation of any consideration for the role I played in this drama, my husband and I have had many a chuckle on the value placed on avoiding a flight diversion.