FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ever been on a Flight which had to Detour for an emergency ?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:57 pm
copwriter

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
March or April 2005, LH flight from PDX-FRA. My first, and so far, only, international flight (not counting a couple of trips to Canada). About three hours in, an announcement for any physicians on board to aid an ill passenger. It turns out we had half a dozen. An hour or so afterward, there's an announcement we are diverting to KEF to offload the ill passenger. I didn't get to deplane, but I did see Iceland, if only from my window seat.

We get into FRA about five hours late, and I have missed my connecting flight to AUH. Nice LH rep directs me to a shuttle to an overnight hotel, just outside the gates of Rhein-Main AFB. I thought it was quite American-looking, and later found out it had started life as quarters for USAF personnel in transit.

Back to FRA the next day. I have several hours to wait for my flight to AUH, I'm very thirsty, and there are no water fountains in the terminal (or, at least, none I could find). I had no Euros, and the credit card terminals were all down. I happen by a LH desk, and see the same nice lady who handled my shuttle and hotel arrangements the day before. I told her of my situation. She invited me to be LH's guest in the first class lounge (I was on a very cheap economy ticket). Score!

FWIW, I found everything about LH superior to any U.S. carrier I'd flown on.