FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ever been on a Flight which had to Detour for an emergency ?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:35 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
MCI-ABQ, diverted to Durango, CO. We were told we were being diverted because Air Force One was landing at ABQ at the time. But when we landed, police boarded the plane and removed a passenger. Once he was off, the captain said the smoke detector in the lav had gone off and the FAs identified the person as having been smoking in there.

Since we were the only aircraft at Durango (a Southwest 737 in a place where Southwest doesn't fly), I'm not sure if AF1 was really causing a bunch of diversions or if we diverted because of the smoke alarm.

I've been on a few weather diversions over the years as well. Most uneventful: nothing you can do but sit there and wait until the weather clears. But one last year was interesting: flying DEN-LBB on a little UA regional jet, we were on initial approach to LBB when we turned 180 degrees and kept descending without any commentary from the pilot. I could see the massive thunderstorms and could tell they were right on top of LBB, so no complaints there!! Once we landed, the FA had no idea where we were. Abilene? Lubbock? Amarillo? (It was Amarillo.) Of course there were no United personnel at Amarillo, so I knew from experience nothing was going to happen fast. The instant we deplaned, I rented a car and drove the two hours. I later noticed that the flight was listed as canceled, so I'm guessing the plane went back to Denver and I have no real idea what happened to the rest of the passengers on the flight.