FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ever been on a Flight which had to Detour for an emergency ?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:47 am
bradhouser

Two stop trip with a Medical Emergency

Third post here. I like reading about others' experiences. I am happy to share mine.

In March, my family and I were traveling from SFO > SNA > IAH > MID on United. The flight from SNA to IAH had a medical emergency on board and was diverted to ABQ. Our connection in IAH would be about an hour, and the delay of the diversion (45+ min) meant we probably would miss the connection, due to the time needed to deplane, walk to the other gate, etc.

When trying to determine the delay, the United app and on board people were no help. So we had to wait until leaving the plane in IAH to see whether or not we had to spend the night there, as there is only one flight a day to MID.

To my surprise, when we arrived and asked about the flight to Merida, the gate people said the plane we had just arrived on was the same one we would be taking. So while we arrived only slightly later than normal, we weren't stuck in Houston for 24 hours.

Couldn't have worked out any better. ^