FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ever been on a Flight which had to Detour for an emergency ?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:58 am
skydve1

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Talking Bird Strike

I was on AA 713 on 04/21/16 which hit a bird on takeoff.

We left LAS right around the scheduled time of 12:55am.
I was in F. Right after takeoff the FA brought us our drinks - everything seemed normal.

After about 30 mins, the captain announced that we must've hit a large bird on takeoff, that the windshield was cracked, and we couldn't continue onto CLT with the windshield cracked. He said we'd divert to PHX and we'll have to burn off fuel since we're too heavy to land.

So we took a leisurely trip to PHX, circling for well over an hour until we were able to land around 3am.

By the time we landed, AA had another A321 fueled up and ready for us.

After we landed and parked, we walked to another gate and boarded our new plane. We took off shortly after 3:45am and continued to CLT. A few of us joked that we hope we get another segment credit, but we didn't because they kept the same flight #.

Of course, we landed much later than planned. Many people missed their connections. Luckily for me, I had a long layover, and I still made my connection.

IMO - AA and the pilots did a great job handling this.

I found a breif news clip on the flight too... Bird Strike News Link

Last edited by skydve1; Jun 28, 2016 at 10:03 am Reason: Spelling...