FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:47 am
AKCuisine

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Mileage Plan earning on JL doesn't begin until 6/29. Not too surprising that AS isn't available on the drop down prior to that date either.
Not sure if others noticed this, but was traveling back from LAS last night and read a nice article in the Beyond Magazine on Japan. At the end of the article, these exact words were written (bolding/italics mine):

Use Mileage Plan miles to visit Tokyo, Japan via new airline partner Japan Airlines, starting June 29, 2016...
'Use' is very different than 'Earn'. Clearly, this is a direct conflict with the website and have to assume it's a misprint? Lately, it seems that the PR/Communications department have been making errors.

Did anybody else notice or catch this?

It certainly looks like a PR/Communications error. If I recall correctly, there are usually gaps (typically spans of many months) between a new partner announcement, the ability to earn miles on the partner carrier, and finally being able to use miles for travel on the partner.

Currently the AS Japan Airlines web page does state "Earning on Japan Airlines: For flights taken on or after June 29, 2016 ... "

The same page also has a sidebar on the right, "Award travel on Japan Airlines: We will launch award travel on Japan Airlines later in 2016."

I am far more inclined to believe what's on the website rather than what is written in the glossy inflight magazine filled with advertorials.