FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017
Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:40 pm
sjwoo

Here's a data point for a rejection.

Applied for the 70K, got my denied letter for "Too many credit cards opened in the last 2 years" today. Chase is using Experian, so I pulled my credit report. Looking through it, I see the following card openings that would be inclusive of this decision:

AMERICAN EXPRESS
03/2016
BARCLAYS BANK DELAWARE
06/2014
CAPITAL ONE
06/2015
CHASE CARD
09/2015
CITI CARDS/CITIBANK
08/2014

I just called the reconsider line and they said there's nothing they can do. Chase-wise, I currently hold the MileagePlus Card (one I'd downgraded years and years ago) and the Southwest. In the past, I've had MileagePlus Explorer (more than 24 months ago), Sapphire Preferred, Marriott, all of which I cancelled.

They wouldn't tell me that this was because of the 5/24 rule -- they wouldn't say anything at all, really, except that they could not approve it and that was it. If the Barclays is the one that's causing the denial, then I guess I'll have to wait until July to try again. Unfortunately, the 70K offer will be gone by then. To be on the safe side, I think I'll wait until September so the Citi card will be off as well.

Last edited by sjwoo; Jun 16, 2016 at 9:50 pm