FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Velaa Private Island vs. Cheval Blanc
View Single Post
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:47 pm
Nizar

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Having stayed at both, I would return in a heartbeat to Cheval Blanc, but you would have to drage me screaming and kicking back to Velaa.

The design at Cheval Blanc is glorious Jean-Michel Gathy, with towering roofs and very elegant furnishings - even nicer than what he did at Reethi Rah. Service and food are extraordinary for the Maldives.

Velaa is rather amateurish - a very personal take on the Maldives by its wealthy Czech owners. Lots of huge black and white turtle photos everywhere and very uncomfortable furniture. Fake orchids in the bathrooms, etc etc. Nice local staff and an interesting fine diing restaurant overwater, but otherwise, no way. Also, if you stay on the ocean side of the island, there is no lagoon and the waves are very violent, so not at all relaxing. The big villas are well appointed, but nowhere near as good as those at Cheval Blanc.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

My only concern over Cheval Blanc is the dining. From reviews I have read a meal can set you back over a thousand dollars. We are not really keen on spending that much on food and not keen on fine dining to be honest.

Maldives is meant to be for chilling. Do the other restaurants apart from the fine dining one serve reasonable good food at more reasonable prices ?