Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Velaa Private Island vs. Cheval Blanc

Old Dec 10, 13, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

I'm traveling with my partner to the Maldives next spring and haven't been before. We liked most about the Courcheval Cheval Blanc this past year (though not 1947) and were thinking of trying the Maldives variant in the spring. The other resort that appealed was the Velaa Private Island. Recognizing the Cheval Blanc has just opened has anyone stayed there recently - or any terrible or wonderful experiences at either place. Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 12, 13, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by brokenheartsurgeon View Post
I'm traveling with my partner to the Maldives next spring and haven't been before. We liked most about the Courcheval Cheval Blanc this past year (though not 1947) and were thinking of trying the Maldives variant in the spring. The other resort that appealed was the Velaa Private Island. Recognizing the Cheval Blanc has just opened has anyone stayed there recently - or any terrible or wonderful experiences at either place. Thanks for your help.
I have yet to try Cheval Blanc Maldives, but find your choice of this and Velaa pretty eclectic, given some of the superb resorts in the Maldives!
Old Dec 12, 13, 9:57 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

We almost ended up booking Cheval Blanc, and felt like it would be the best place to take our son if we all went. But, alas, we decided that splitting up things between the two COMO's resorts was a better value and would be places where we'd be less likely to run into kids (and then feel sad for not taking ours). Plus, we don't earn 8-figures, nor did we inherit money--so Cheval Blanc was too expensive for us simpletons!
Old Dec 15, 13, 12:00 am
Original Poster

declinespecificinformation thats very interesting. Our agent visited both properties and felt that Velaa was more family oriented while the Carousel and Paddock set up at Cheval was much more of an afterthought.
As it turns out, we decided to go for two weeks and have set up a week at each so hopefully if we return we can settle at just one location - noone likes to fly twin otters every week.
Old Dec 19, 13, 8:43 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Round-trip seaplane transfers between the airport and Cheval Blanc are $1500 per person. Granted, it's in the dedicated Cheval Blanc private plane, which looks very nice. The resort also requires that all guests arrive via their private plane.
Old Dec 19, 13, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by xracer View Post
Round-trip seaplane transfers between the airport and Cheval Blanc are $1500 per person. Granted, it's in the dedicated Cheval Blanc private plane, which looks very nice. The resort also requires that all guests arrive via their private plane.
There are already some reviews on TripAdvisor, one is mentionning meals cost. $83 for a burger, $500pp for the fine dining menu... I understand they target the high-end customers, but this is ridiculous.
Old Dec 19, 13, 10:45 am
Original Poster

If you're curious I actually have the menus for all of the restaurants - and yes there is an $85 cheeseburger. Though the appetizer I find most outlandish is the prawns with apple and caviar for $350 at 1947, but I found dinner at the franchise in Courchevel quite disappointing so I don't think I'll be expecting too much from this one. The tasting menus at Diptyque do look very good and seem reasonable running between $240 to 410 per person. Probably not quite in the realm of Geranium but cheaper and better than Noma I'm hoping - time will tell...
Old Dec 19, 13, 11:03 am

Yikes! These prices are rather high.

What's worse is that one is, necessarily, a captive audience at these places.

We just dined at Geranium and Noma … you did not enjoy the latter?
Old Dec 19, 13, 11:18 am
Original Poster

I think Noma is fine and a lot of fun. But it's certainly not in my top 10... Probably not top 20 even after eating there several times. For me it's never been a transcendent dining experience which I find Geranium often comes close to. But I drink too much and kiss the chefs so it could just be me. I won't even get started on El Bulli or Eleven Madison....
Old Mar 4, 14, 10:03 am

I'm also interested in the comparison between the two - any updates possible?
Old Jun 11, 16, 9:10 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
A couple of years on - are there comparative thoughts between these two ?

I thought Cheval was considered the creme de la creme of the Maldives but I came across velaa and the villas there look even better.
Old Jun 15, 16, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Nizar View Post
A couple of years on - are there comparative thoughts between these two ?

I thought Cheval was considered the creme de la creme of the Maldives but I came across velaa and the villas there look even better.
Having stayed at both, I would return in a heartbeat to Cheval Blanc, but you would have to drage me screaming and kicking back to Velaa.

The design at Cheval Blanc is glorious Jean-Michel Gathy, with towering roofs and very elegant furnishings - even nicer than what he did at Reethi Rah. Service and food are extraordinary for the Maldives.

Velaa is rather amateurish - a very personal take on the Maldives by its wealthy Czech owners. Lots of huge black and white turtle photos everywhere and very uncomfortable furniture. Fake orchids in the bathrooms, etc etc. Nice local staff and an interesting fine diing restaurant overwater, but otherwise, no way. Also, if you stay on the ocean side of the island, there is no lagoon and the waves are very violent, so not at all relaxing. The big villas are well appointed, but nowhere near as good as those at Cheval Blanc.
Old Jun 15, 16, 4:47 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle View Post
Having stayed at both, I would return in a heartbeat to Cheval Blanc, but you would have to drage me screaming and kicking back to Velaa.

The design at Cheval Blanc is glorious Jean-Michel Gathy, with towering roofs and very elegant furnishings - even nicer than what he did at Reethi Rah. Service and food are extraordinary for the Maldives.

Velaa is rather amateurish - a very personal take on the Maldives by its wealthy Czech owners. Lots of huge black and white turtle photos everywhere and very uncomfortable furniture. Fake orchids in the bathrooms, etc etc. Nice local staff and an interesting fine diing restaurant overwater, but otherwise, no way. Also, if you stay on the ocean side of the island, there is no lagoon and the waves are very violent, so not at all relaxing. The big villas are well appointed, but nowhere near as good as those at Cheval Blanc.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

My only concern over Cheval Blanc is the dining. From reviews I have read a meal can set you back over a thousand dollars. We are not really keen on spending that much on food and not keen on fine dining to be honest.

Maldives is meant to be for chilling. Do the other restaurants apart from the fine dining one serve reasonable good food at more reasonable prices ?
Old Jun 15, 16, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Nizar View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

My only concern over Cheval Blanc is the dining. From reviews I have read a meal can set you back over a thousand dollars. We are not really keen on spending that much on food and not keen on fine dining to be honest.

Maldives is meant to be for chilling. Do the other restaurants apart from the fine dining one serve reasonable good food at more reasonable prices ?
That's only for one restaurant. The rest are reasonably priced
Old Jun 15, 16, 8:00 pm

Anyway I have menus if you like to see them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: