FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yes, another First Checked Bag Free Question
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:00 pm
psubrian

Programs: former NW Plat & HH Diamond, NA Executive Elite - now just a DL Gold sitting in the back of the plan
Yes, another First Checked Bag Free Question

So I've read through a number of posts, but I haven't found a black and white answer (and Delta seems to be a bit busy on the phones tonight).

Here's the ultimate question - do you need to pay for your flight with your own Delta AmEx card to get the first bag checked free benefit?

The scenario - I have a Plat card in my name with her as a secondary card holder. Then we signed her up for her own Gold card. She doesn't fly as much as I do and she already got her CC bonus for spending so it makes sense for us to purchase flights on my card. She is traveling with the kids this fall without me, and I'd like to book the flight with my card with the hope that her Gold card will still get her the free checked bags.

Potentially unfortunately, we already booked the flights in this manner and booking summary makes it look like she's going to need to pay for that first bag. I know her Gold card was linked successfully as we've seen the additional miles show up in her account.

I would appreciate a confirmation (either positive or negative) if it matters what card is used to pay for a flight to still get the free checked bag.