Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Yes, another First Checked Bag Free Question

Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: former NW Plat & HH Diamond, NA Executive Elite - now just a DL Gold sitting in the back of the plan

So I've read through a number of posts, but I haven't found a black and white answer (and Delta seems to be a bit busy on the phones tonight).

Here's the ultimate question - do you need to pay for your flight with your own Delta AmEx card to get the first bag checked free benefit?

The scenario - I have a Plat card in my name with her as a secondary card holder. Then we signed her up for her own Gold card. She doesn't fly as much as I do and she already got her CC bonus for spending so it makes sense for us to purchase flights on my card. She is traveling with the kids this fall without me, and I'd like to book the flight with my card with the hope that her Gold card will still get her the free checked bags.

Potentially unfortunately, we already booked the flights in this manner and booking summary makes it look like she's going to need to pay for that first bag. I know her Gold card was linked successfully as we've seen the additional miles show up in her account.

I would appreciate a confirmation (either positive or negative) if it matters what card is used to pay for a flight to still get the free checked bag.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:08 pm

The passenger only has to be a primary cardholder with her card attached to the SkyMiles number in the reservation. It doesn't matter who pays.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
My understanding of the Amex baggage allowance is that it extends to anybody who HAS a Delta Amex card - nothing to do with paying for the ticket:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...p/checked.html
Half way down..
DELTA SKYMILES CREDIT CARD FROM AMERICAN EXPRESS BAGGAGE BENEFIT
At the time of check in with Delta for a Delta-marketed and Delta-operated flight (including Delta Connection), our passengers who hold a Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express - Gold, Platinum, or Reserve - will be allowed to check their first bag for free system wide. The benefit is subject to the weight and size restrictions of your cabin of travel. The benefit extends to up to 8 travel companions on the Cardholder's reservation for a total of 9 passengers.

But as Widget mentioned, according to their T&Cs it's supposed to be for the primary card holder only - not additional card members.

But I know that several secondary card holders under my account have used their DL Amex card and get the free bag. I've seen plenty of people at the counter just waive a DL Amex card to get free bag (no idea whether it's their card, or just borrowing a friends?)
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:34 am

I have a Delta Gold Amex and have found that when the flight is booked with points from Chase, I do not get free bag benefit.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SEUS777
I have a Delta Gold Amex and have found that when the flight is booked with points from Chase, I do not get free bag benefit.
That seems strange. Is your DL FF number entered in the record and do you earn FF miles for the flight?
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: former NW Plat & HH Diamond, NA Executive Elite - now just a DL Gold sitting in the back of the plan
Thanks everyone!
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:43 pm

There's been a lot of AMEX bag fraud, so unless it's free in the computer, we tell pax to pay and ask Amex for reimbursement if they truly are eligible.

BTW, up to 8 companions on an identical itinerary get a free bag and they don't have to be in the same PNR. If they aren't, an agent has to waive manually at bag drop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.