FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:30 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by gengar
As I already noted earlier in this thread, *A will interline within the alliance on separate tickets. And even that was a recent change (~1 year ago). Prior to that, airlines would typically interline to any other airline that they had an interlining agreement with, regardless of alliance.
Indeed, many still do. So the paradox is that it will be easier to through check in from many secondary airline to BA than from BA to BA if on separate tickets!

Originally Posted by gengar
As for protection, that was unique to OW AFAIK, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
I don't want to reopen this persistent point, but my understanding is still that there clearly isn't a OW protection on separate tickets. In a recent thread, we even had a very explicit statement from a BA agent that there isn't even a BA to BA one on separate tickets except in the case of long haul arrival to short haul departure, as a gesture of goodwill, and assuming the time between flights respects MCT.