FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sao Paulo and Rio
View Single Post
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:03 am
TeamCarryOn

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Thanks for all the input. You have convinced me to stay closer to Rio proper.

Right now I'm eyeing the Miramar by Windsor and the Windsor Atlantica, but I have some mixed feelings on Copa based on the where to stay thread.

Should I be looking Ipanema or Leblon instead?
For a first-time in Rio, I would stay in Ipanema. It is between Leblon and Copa, and the General Orsorio metro stop is very convenient to other sites in Rio. Plus, I prefer Ipanema beach over Copa or Leblon. Leblon I think is too boring, and Copa too touristy. You get a nice mix of locals and tourists on Ipanema Beach.

As for hotels, I hear what you like, and I would check out decolar dot com for some local chains that may suit your needs. There are quite a few Brazilian hotel chains that are relatively unknown to foreigners but provide excellent service and rooms. With anything, read the reviews.

For Sao Paulo, I would suggest the Renaissance Marriott near Ave. Paulista. I had a one bedroom suite their once, with an amazing view of the city from the 20th floor.