Wiki Posts
Search

Sao Paulo and Rio

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Sao Paulo and Rio

A friend and I are visiting Brazil for roughly 10 days at the beginning of June. I would like to get some input on my itinerary.

We are flying into and out of GRU.

Right now we are planning to stay at the Hyatt in SP Friday through Monday and then head to Rio Tuesday through Sunday. I am leaning towards staying at the new Hyatt down there as well. How are these locations?

Is it worth it to spend the weekend in SP?

Is there anywhere else that we should go aside from SP or Rio?
Old May 3, 2016, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
A friend and I are visiting Brazil for roughly 10 days at the beginning of June. I would like to get some input on my itinerary.

We are flying into and out of GRU.

Right now we are planning to stay at the Hyatt in SP Friday through Monday and then head to Rio Tuesday through Sunday. I am leaning towards staying at the new Hyatt down there as well. How are these locations?

Hyatt in Rio is located in Barra de Tijuca which is not really the Rio you probably have in mind. I highly recommend not staying there but rather some hotel in Leblon or Ipanema or even copacabana as a last resort.
Old May 3, 2016, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Esmjb
Hyatt in Rio is located in Barra de Tijuca which is not really the Rio you probably have in mind. I highly recommend not staying there but rather some hotel in Leblon or Ipanema or even copacabana as a last resort.
I've realized that it's a bit of drive to Rio from the Hyatt.

Everything seems relatively expensive in Ipanema. I'm open for suggestions.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Check the last few pages of the "http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazi...y-rio-igu.html" thread for some good suggestions.
Personally, I wish you'd stay in the new Hyatt in Barra and report back on the experience, as that is where I`m planning to stay on my next trip there and would love to see a review
If you do that, a rental car is almost a necessity. That hotel is perfect for a beach vacation (large, clean and uncrowded beaches directly across the street), but everything else is far far away. While traffic can be a problem, it's not as bad as in Sao Paulo and better than in LA. Just avoid rush hour...

A weekend in SP will be OK, but Rio clearly has more to offer in terms of touristy attractions.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:09 am

I've realized that it's a bit of drive to Rio from the Hyatt.

Everything seems relatively expensive in Ipanema. I'm open for suggestions.
Look at Mar Ipanema or arpoador inn. They are perfectly fine but definitely nothing special and run about 100 a night. Interestingly I noticed copacabana palace has rooms for $259 a night and fasano for $359 which is the cheapest I have ever seen them. Those are top notch hotels if you want to splurge.
Old May 5, 2016, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold

I've gone to Brazil every month this year and will return in 3 weeks. I've stayed at both Hyatt's. If you want to stay in a hotel when you walk out the front doors you are in the middle of everything, the Hyatt's are not going to work for you. If you are looking to stay in a superior 5 star hotel located in a quite, safe part of the city, and don't mind taking a taxi or public transit into the city then go for the Hyatt's.

In Sao Paulo the Hyatt is close to the train station. The trains and subway is clean, safe, fast and very cheap, about .90cents a ride. Taxis are safe, cheap and easy to find, a taxi fare into the city will cost you $8 - $12 US dollars.

In Rio, the Hyatt is about a 20 minute to over and hour drive into the city/tourist areas… it depends on traffic. The Grand Hyatt Rio is a destination of it’s own, it’s an awesome Urban Resort located in a beautiful, clean beach area west of the city. The cost of a taxi into city cost me $20 - $25 US each ride, the private hotel car $40 US.

I think your plan is perfect, first weekend in Sao Paulo then the rest of the say in Rio.

Sao Paulo is a massive city, sort of like Los Angeles, New York and Atlanta combined.
At first I was going to skip Sao Paulo but I’m glad I did not. It’s a very interesting city.
Some places I enjoyed.

Sunday on Paulista Ave. The street is closed to automobile traffic and is open up to foot traffic, there is music, art, dancing, etc…

View of the city from the MAC USP – 8th floor.

Rua Oscar Freire (South America’s Rio Drive)

Restaurants and food, it’s a big foodie city.

Maercado Municipal (located in a shady area, take a cab, worth the trip)

In Rio:
This has to be the one of the most beautiful settings on earth… save the best for last!!! I love RIO, lots to see and do. There are also some nice day trips from Rio, there is a lake district east of the city, and just west of the Grand Hyatt some beaches I must check out. I feel Rio has enough to enjoy for 4 – 7 days.

In closing, I’m close to 50 my clubbing days are over, but if you are younger and want to dance and party the night away I would not stay at the Hyatt’s. In Sao Paulo stay in Jardines, and in Rio, Copacabana, Ipanema or Leblon.

RIO is amazing, vibrant, colorful, beyond beautiful but Sao Paulo is worth a short adventure!

Other destinations besides Rio/SP... falls iguazu, Salvador.

If you want more info feel free to message me. I’m in Rio the last week of this month.
Old May 16, 2016, 5:54 am

Brazil has plenty of options , it will depend on your personal tastes, but some suggestions for unique trips re:
- Iguazu Falls
- Manaus and Amazon
- Lencois maranhenses (dunes and lakes, give a look at pics)
- Bonito (rivers, falls , snorkel) - this one I haven´t been there yet
- Fernando de Noronha (also haven´t been there, this one probably will be more expensive)
Old Jun 5, 2016, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. You have convinced me to stay closer to Rio proper.

Right now I'm eyeing the Miramar by Windsor and the Windsor Atlantica, but I have some mixed feelings on Copa based on the where to stay thread.

Should I be looking Ipanema or Leblon instead?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:27 am

Leblon may look more like what some foreign tourists are used to at home and so they may perceive it as safer. Brazilian cities are full of people of color and run down edifices, which makes some foreign tourists uncomfortable. In reality, I would be more leery of a deserted side street in an upper class neighborhood than a busy street in, say, Copacabana. YMMV
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:41 am

Right now I'm eyeing the Miramar by Windsor and the Windsor Atlantica, but I have some mixed feelings on Copa based on the where to stay thread.

i would steer you away from Windsor Atlantica at least. The miramar is in a very nice location (for copa) and has recently been remodeled, at least the exterior has not sure about interior, and really looks legitimately nice. I still recommend Ipanema or Leblon but if you end up at the miramar you will be a-ok.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite

For a first-time in Rio, I would stay in Ipanema. It is between Leblon and Copa, and the General Orsorio metro stop is very convenient to other sites in Rio. Plus, I prefer Ipanema beach over Copa or Leblon. Leblon I think is too boring, and Copa too touristy. You get a nice mix of locals and tourists on Ipanema Beach.

As for hotels, I hear what you like, and I would check out decolar dot com for some local chains that may suit your needs. There are quite a few Brazilian hotel chains that are relatively unknown to foreigners but provide excellent service and rooms. With anything, read the reviews.

For Sao Paulo, I would suggest the Renaissance Marriott near Ave. Paulista. I had a one bedroom suite their once, with an amazing view of the city from the 20th floor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.