FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When did people become so picky in restaurants?
Old May 22, 2016, 8:52 am
superangrypenguin
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Good. I think we've become a society of weaklings and needy people.

I can appreciate and applaud SAP's comment that "at that price..."I expect Ruth's Chris to not put butter on his steak, and that at Tim Horton's, he's prepared to face whatever consequences come from the potential allergens if he orders poorly.

But a lot of restaurants offer "specialty dishes" or even "standard dishes" where the chef either put a lot of time and effort and creativity into the recipe or the item contains the same ingredients everywhere. IF you order those dishes, you should take it the way it was meant to be prepared, or order something else that fits your dietary requirements or lifestyle or go to a restaurant that caters to your needs. Don't go in and order "beef with broccoli" and ask for asparagus instead. Don't ask a chef to change up the night's special because you can't handle the garlic or red pepper flakes or cream in the sauce. He/she meant for it to be a specific way, and that's the way it should be served/prepared.

Everyone's entitled these days. That has to stop at some point. There are other restaurant/dish choices. Pick something else.

End of rant. Sorry.
I don't feel that it's about people being needy. As I said, until you face dietary restrictions yourself, it's hard to appreciate the issues that go along with having them.

That being said, one has to be reasonable. In my humble opinion, what one pays for dinner is what is a factor. Should Ruth Chris deal with my issues? Yes. Should Timmies deal with my issues? Heck no.