FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]
Old May 15, 2016, 8:48 am
lenardl

Programs: AA Exec Plat; SPG Gold; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; IHG Plat Ambassador
Post The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Just stayed here last night.

I booked a Luxury Privilege rate for the Caroline Astor suite at RM 1600. Upon checking in, I was told that the suite is not available as it is not ready... and I was downgraded to the entry level suite - the St Regis suite. First time that I was ever downgraded on this rate, instead of the normal double upgrade I get for this rate + elite status.

Met the GM, Anne, who is a lovely person. She apologized and tried to make it up to me. She also gave me a personal tour of the hotel later.

Check in space:
Name:  lAFT4YS.jpg
Views: 9181
Size:  413.2 KB
Name:  OBQxN3x.jpg
Views: 4075
Size:  335.9 KB
Name:  rTDHdiR.jpg
Views: 3909
Size:  409.1 KB

I was given suite 701, which was at the lowest level. The hotel rooms start from floor 7 to 21... BUT - only level 7 to 11 is ready now. The rest is still not ready.

Room:
Name:  K0tOv91.jpg
Views: 3577
Size:  413.1 KB
Name:  4Jf8mY3.jpg
Views: 3525
Size:  372.8 KB
Name:  3zb4Fvy.jpg
Views: 3565
Size:  381.7 KB
Name:  qmVxzw8.jpg
Views: 3590
Size:  492.8 KB

This is a recurring theme throughout the hotel - many things are not ready. The pool + bar at the pool isnt completed.
Name:  mdbxC9U.jpg
Views: 3590
Size:  395.3 KB

The changing room at the gym isnt ready. The Iridium spa isnt ready. All the walkways also reeked of strong paint fumes... hardly the signature St Regis scent.

Gym:
Name:  mbDYxwf.jpg
Views: 3737
Size:  350.8 KB

Rooms are just like what @travelswithmyself posted. They are nice.. however, room 701 is the at the lowest level, and the pool is still being constructed. This meant that there was drilling noise the whole day until the evening... and also foreign laborers outside your window peeping in from time to time:
Name:  u5CzTwQ.jpg
Views: 3547
Size:  511.9 KB
Name:  998ewKA.jpg
Views: 3529
Size:  463.0 KB

Classy.

Toiletries are Remede, as usual.The hotel also provides a shuttle to nearby places - KL Sentral and a park nearby. The first car was a E200 Mercedes, while the second one was some random Toyota Innova... Im not sure that the hotel has a dedicated fleet yet - seems that they call a service provider.

Other parts of the hotel:
Name:  iMWtscf.jpg
Views: 3499
Size:  1,010.8 KB
Name:  DkEO3ao.jpg
Views: 3429
Size:  678.0 KB

Gold / Platinum members get a welcome drink at the Astor bar, which was impressive:
Name:  2to91aB.jpg
Views: 3527
Size:  767.9 KB
Name:  eXJ30p4.jpg
Views: 3680
Size:  407.2 KB

Their localized bloody mary involved some sourish fruits and local pepper:
Name:  CIcbouc.jpg
Views: 3451
Size:  742.6 KB

The butler service was generally good when it came to coffee and tea.

Breakfast was at the Brassiere, and was a la carte. No buffet yet - probably because there isnt enough people:
Name:  Ho6szbb.jpg
Views: 3531
Size:  464.0 KB
Name:  Bbx7GfY.jpg
Views: 3495
Size:  542.1 KB

I also tried some of their in room dining - the lamb (mispelled as Lanb on the menu); the lobster bisque; panini; gnocchi. Food is generally ok.

There were many other small things that the hotel still hasnt done right. The whole hotel doesnt have any cloth or plastic laundry bags for example - they just give you paper bags. The tv in the bathroom also doesnt work. The TVs in the living / bed room also gets no signal when there is a heavy rain.

I also had a small incident in the hotel due to poor workmanship. The doors between the living room and bed room, once closed, could not be opened because the upper rollers were not properly done. hey were protruding out, and the doors could not get past them.

As a result, I locked myself in the bedroom while showering. Concierge and the technical team took about 20 minutes before they could open the doors, all while I was stuck in the bedroom, and was late for a dinner. This issue was never fixed too.

At check out, there were issues with my final bill too. Despite my downgrade, I was somehow charged more than what my confirmation email said. I showed them this, and it took about 20 minutes of back and forth before my final bill was fixed.

Overall, dont bother coming here for the next 6 to 12 months. The hotel was completely rushed, and the service level and attention to detail is still not up to par, despite the good intentions of the GM. There really is no point paying RM 1000 for the entry level rooms (they raised the price again!) when you can get better service and facilities at other hotels for less than half the price.. literally up the street.

I myself will continue sticking with the GH.

Last edited by lenardl; May 15, 2016 at 8:08 pm Reason: added new pictures now that this is a new thread