FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "What to do in Reno?" thread
Old Feb 2, 2002, 1:13 am
ejulber

If you like eating sushi, Sushi Pier is fantastic. All you can eat for $11.95 at lunch or $16.95 at dinner. We've never had better sushi. Located in the Airport Plaza across from Costco; just west of RNO airport.

Also located in the Airport Plaza is Sierra Trading Post, a discounter of outlet outdoor clothing and items. Our last visit yielded a Marmot jacket for my wife for about 70% off. Clothing, tents, boots, etc..

A trip to Virginia City is interesting, but a bit touristy for my tastes. There's a steam locomotive ride put on by volunteers that is great. From Virginia City, you can head south and end up in Carson City. There's not much in Carson City, IMHO.

If you're into a glider ride, the Minden airport has Soar Minden and a typical flight will include a view of Lake Tahoe. Glider flights from Minden at times have reached 50,000' and pilots from around the world come to ride "The Wave," which is created when winds from the west are uplifted by the Sierra. A $50-$100 flight might get you to 14,000' if conditions are right.

Bill Harrah established a very good car museum and it's worth a look if you're a car buff.

Eldorado has a decent buffet. The Silver Legacy (www.silverlegacy.com) usually has the top acts, but they're not showing much for normally slow March. Also, the Nugget, located to the east of downtown along I-80 often has good acts; they're showing Glen Campbell and Michael Martin Murphy during mid-March (www.janugget.com)

Tahoe will be cold in March. The skiing should be great (corn snow, mid-40s or even low 50s for temperature), but don't plan on any beach activity until late June.

Hmmm... did I mention Sushi Pier????!!!