FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Four seasons: Lanai or maui ???
View Single Post
Old May 9, 2016, 12:51 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by msp3
Here's what I'm curious about though: If you're a "luxury good" like FS (in the economic sense), do really high-roller customers bat and eye at what they're charging? If someone isn't concerned with price, wouldn't they be happier there's less people around and be willing to spend even more?
FS is more of a mainstream luxury good - those who really pay up for a special experience will use private rentals or exclusive small resorts. If a high roller wants a truly top notch FS experience, they would book a suite or private villa.

The mainstream FS customer (think Drs, lawyers, accountants, business owners) is every bit as price conscious, and more importantly, value conscious as the family headed to Disney World. My agency serves very high net worth clients who would almost universally scoff at paying over $1000 per night for an entry level room at a new resort that hasn't proven itself yet.

Lana'i is most likely testing the waters for what they think they can get, and when it doesn't happen, their prices will moderate to somewhere near Hualalai/Maui over time.