Four seasons: Lanai or maui ???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four seasons: Lanai or maui ???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:42 am
Original Poster

For a short 3-night stay in a one-bedroom suite, which would you recommend for a romantic couples getaway?

My girlfriend lives in Maui and I'm visiting for 10 days. I plan to spend at least one weekend with her in a lavish hotel, but am looking for the utmost in luxury, service and amenities surrounded by tropical beauty. Which of the two properties (Lana'i at Manele Bay or FS Maui) would be most reccomended?

I'm looking for an oceanfront suite for a very special weekend. I would consider taking the ferry from Maui to Lanai if it's worthwhile for the property. I could be mistaken but I believe Maui has the better beach and poolfront area (gorgeous infinity pool) yet Lana'i seems to be the more spectacular property. I love the detailed Japanese room furnishings in the luxury suites. I essentially want to get lost on the island for one unforgettable weekend with bottles of champagne, in-room spa treatments, private torch lit beach dining, and the works...

Which of these two FS would better be suited to what I've in mind?

I should also add the Kea Lani on Maui to the options laid out above... Of the three hotels, for a romantic island beach weekend with all the pamperings and luxuries of a world-class hotel, which would you advise going with?

The Kea Lani poolfront looks wonderful with the covered beach cabanas and bridged pools and fountains... but the rooms pale in comparisson to those at the FS. The Oceanfront Deluxe Suites on their websites look like nothing special at all and not meriting the cost or star-class associated with the property. I could be mistaken but based on the virtual galleries on the Fairmont's website, they really look rather plan and generic right down to the furnishings and space layout. Rather disappointing because I love the look of the pool deck, but I really want this to be the most special weekend ever and don't want to compromise anything.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 9, 2016 at 5:10 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Lanai is very isolated. If you want seclusion and beauty, this is the place. The beach next to the FS Manele Bay is great -- one of the best body surfing beaches in Hawaii, IMO. I've never stepped foot on the other FS on Lanai, but I'd imagine it's even more isolated.

Maui has more restaurants and activities, and it's also beautiful.

Personally, if I lived on Maui, I'd want to go somewhere new.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:49 am

Programs: DL PM/Reserve, AS MVP/Gold, Hertz #1GC, SPG Gold
Re:

The FS Manele Bay is on the beach, the FS at Koele (the other FS on Lanai) is in the middle of the island, on the top of a hill (no beach), for a different experience.
I'd recommend (1) Manele Bay and (2) Maui.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Once I'm considering leaving Maui... would it be worthwhile to stay at the Mauna Kea on Big Island?

Personally that's the number one destination I've wanted to visit on the islands but just assumed that once I was visiting my girlfriend in Maui for a limited number of days, we'd be best to stay on the island.

I would love to head to BI at Mauna Kea though. Are flights the only option and how much do you suppose it would run us each tax-in for a round-trip from Maui to Big Island? Are the rates affordable and would it be a huge inconvenience or simple trip over? And then the follow-up question: Mauna Lani or Mauna Kea??

Last edited by OliverB; Sep 24, 2010 at 1:52 pm
Old Sep 24, 2010, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
For a short visit, I'd recommend Lana'i and the FS Manele Bay. I was just there for July 4th weekend - it's a phenomenal hotel and a beautiful island. For a short getaway, everything you need is right there - no rental car expense as their shuttle will take you to town or up to Koele.

If your GF lives on Maui and has proof of residency (drivers license), she can book greatly discounted 'Kama'aina' rates at any FS property (and many non-FS properties) and the ferry between Lahaina and Lana'i is discounted as well.

She will need to call and book the room in order to get the discount - which is sizeable and often includes other amenities.

If you want the Big Island, the FS Hualalai has great Kama'aina deals which include buffet breakfast for two - that alone is worth about $90 a day in value.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much... I've decided that we're definitely going to Big Island and I'm 100% sold on the Four Seasons Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu!

My girlfriend lives in Maui temporarily (for the year) as she's enrolled in courses but she owns a car with a HI plate. I don't think her driver's license would be registered in Maui since she's from the East Coast... what sort of proof or residency would be required and can be given to acquire the FS discounts and how significant are we talking?

I'm looking at the Ocean View 'Deluxe Prime Suites' with lanai and outdoor shower, etc. It appears as though it will cost a fortune so if indeed the discount can be applied and is significant, it would be a huge relief! What kind of knock-off percentage are we talking on the room, and any idea if it can be paired with other 'special' rates or discount codes?

Thanks!!!

I'm sure better rates can be found but according to the FS website reservations, standard nightly fare for the "Deluxe Suite - Prime Ocean Front" sells for 2,835.00 per night!!!

I was hoping to pay in the USD $600/night range with some sort of promo code or discount package. I could probably pull a better rate with my agent as well... but I'd really like to find out more about the local HI residents discounts. I'm not unaccustomed to paying for top-class accomodations, but for that outlandish cost I could stay in a luxury stilted ocean villa in Maldives or private berber tented suite in a palace in Marrakesh!!!

Total rip-off! Is there any way to bring the rates down significantly (ie. knock that first digit out of the figure!)

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 9, 2016 at 5:11 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 24, 2010, 5:08 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by OliverB
Thanks so much... I've decided that we're definitely going to Big Island and I'm 100% sold on the Four Seasons Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu!

My girlfriend lives in Maui temporarily (for the year) as she's enrolled in courses but she owns a car with a HI plate. I don't think her driver's license would be registered in Maui since she's from the East Coast... what sort of proof or residency would be required and can be given to acquire the FS discounts and how significant are we talking?

I'm looking at the Ocean View 'Deluxe Prime Suites' with lanai and outdoor shower, etc. It appears as though it will cost a fortune so if indeed the discount can be applied and is significant, it would be a huge relief! What kind of knock-off percentage are we talking on the room, and any idea if it can be paired with other 'special' rates or discount codes?

Thanks!!!
She can try her student ID and vehicle registration, but if I was her, I'd just get a HI drivers license - it will be the easiest way and open up a world of discounts.

If she doesn't want to get the license, she can get a state ID card - but either way, you'd want to clear her choice of residency ID with the hotel before booking - and don't call them and emphasize she is a "temporary resident just taking some classes" or they may deny the Kama'aina rate.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Call and ask about the Kama'aina rates. If they won't divulge them, call the FS directly and ask if the price can be discounted given it's for a very special occasion. It's low season on Hawaii and it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:15 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
If the Kama'aina route fails, I'd recommend using a FSPP agent to book any Four Seasons. You'll get free daily breakfast for two, a free lunch or spa credit (depending on the property), and upgrade on availability. At FS Maui and Hualalai, I've received triple-upgrades with FSPP -- certainly more than what is promised, but a great benefit nonetheless.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend the FS Hualalai. Even the standard rooms are fairly large, so you might not necessarily need the (very expensive) suite. If you stay on the lower level, you'll have a nice patio and an outdoor shower.
Old May 8, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
So the FS Lanai pricing starts at a whopping $1000+ per night now (twice what I paid late 2014), Kamaaina will bring it down to a $800 starting range but isn't year-long (!). Other times it's just the listed rate w/ no discounts whatsoever.

Would it make more sense to wait until the Lodge is open (end of 2016) before going so there's more availability and prices softens up a bit? When I originally went they actually had an ad out in the Star-Advertiser telling you what the Kamaaina rate is (and it was very good). I guess the days of having affordable FS on Lanai is over?
Old May 9, 2016, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by msp3
So the FS Lanai pricing starts at a whopping $1000+ per night now (twice what I paid late 2014), Kamaaina will bring it down to a $800 starting range but isn't year-long (!). Other times it's just the listed rate w/ no discounts whatsoever.

Would it make more sense to wait until the Lodge is open (end of 2016) before going so there's more availability and prices softens up a bit? When I originally went they actually had an ad out in the Star-Advertiser telling you what the Kamaaina rate is (and it was very good). I guess the days of having affordable FS on Lanai is over?
I received the same nonsense quote when I called, and I asked the agent to repeat herself when she quoted the Kama'aina rate because I thought she made a mistake - it was higher than the published base room rate at Hualalai!

The resort emailed me a travel agent site visit rate, so I might go there later in the year to check out the resort, but their rates might be high until reality loosens up their britches a little bit. Very few people are going to be gobbling up $1,000+ garden view base room rates.
Old May 9, 2016, 4:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I received the same nonsense quote when I called, and I asked the agent to repeat herself when she quoted the Kama'aina rate because I thought she made a mistake - it was higher than the published base room rate at Hualalai!

The resort emailed me a travel agent site visit rate, so I might go there later in the year to check out the resort, but their rates might be high until reality loosens up their britches a little bit. Very few people are going to be gobbling up $1,000+ garden view base room rates.
Here's what I'm curious about though: If you're a "luxury good" like FS (in the economic sense), do really high-roller customers bat and eye at what they're charging? If someone isn't concerned with price, wouldn't they be happier there's less people around and be willing to spend even more?
Old May 9, 2016, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
Here's what I'm curious about though: If you're a "luxury good" like FS (in the economic sense), do really high-roller customers bat and eye at what they're charging? If someone isn't concerned with price, wouldn't they be happier there's less people around and be willing to spend even more?
FS is more of a mainstream luxury good - those who really pay up for a special experience will use private rentals or exclusive small resorts. If a high roller wants a truly top notch FS experience, they would book a suite or private villa.

The mainstream FS customer (think Drs, lawyers, accountants, business owners) is every bit as price conscious, and more importantly, value conscious as the family headed to Disney World. My agency serves very high net worth clients who would almost universally scoff at paying over $1000 per night for an entry level room at a new resort that hasn't proven itself yet.

Lana'i is most likely testing the waters for what they think they can get, and when it doesn't happen, their prices will moderate to somewhere near Hualalai/Maui over time.
Old May 19, 2016, 3:20 pm

Just back from a trip to Maui, and a day trip to Lana'i. They are in the process of renovations still at the FS Koele Lodge. But I can't for the life of me imagine people paying $1,000/nt for a base room at Manele. It's really pretty, and the beach is awesome. Not crowded. Were tons of dolphins playing just a 100 yards out. But, there must be lots of wealthy folks not batting too many eyes at the current rates.

I hear Ellison is thinking about building an over water bungalow style hotel on the East end of the island, facing Maui.
Old May 19, 2016, 4:14 pm

PSA: FS Oahu opens next wk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.