FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA PreCheck Application Name Questions
View Single Post
Old May 3, 2016, 11:39 am
tehspecs

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Gold, Emerald Club Executive Elite, Global Entry
Originally Posted by fendertweed
Wondering and seeking advice on how to enroll.

My driver's license and just about all documents I have and legally sign have my middle initial -- John S. Smith

My passport has my full middle name -- John Samuel Smith

When I get an airline ticket it has the initial on it -- John S. Smith

I'm inclined to enroll with the passport because it's easier and saves a trip to safe deposit box to get birth certificate (Birth Cert + DL = Substitute for passport). I honestly don't remember if my birth certificate has the "S." or "Samuel" on it.

I wonder if this is going to cause any complications either in enrollment or in checking ID at airports since most of my flights are domestic and I'll be using my DL with "John S. Smith" on it, not my passport with "John Samuel Smith."

Any advice or suggestions to avoid being stuck in the maw of the TSA bureaucracy?

If the Birth Cert. has "John S. Smith" is the DL + Birth Certificate the easier route (DL + Birth Cert = same name)?

If the Birth Cert. has "John Samuel Smith", then just go with passport and let TSA figure out that "John S. Smith" on my DL is me?

FWIW this was not an issue on an international flight recently with ticket in name of "John S. Smith" and passport named "John Samuel Smith".

Thanks for any help, I don't want to overthink it but I know TSA well enough to not trust them and to want to avoid any complication if possible.
You apparently didn't read the thread you posted in... See post #6 @:-)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25743199-post6.html