FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying gold coins for maximum points-generation
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:56 am
philip0

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I started collecting coins many years ago. The ones I bought from ebay are the NGC graded presidential spouse series when there was a discount going on then and average amount I paid then was $375 to $400 each (their prices have more than doubled now depending on their rarity). I have a business contact in HK who also collects coins and I've sold some of my duplicates to her when we went there on vacation. Without discounts on ebay, I buy the graded buffaloes, maple leaf, krugerrands, etc from a reputable local dealer. If you notice, I buy the graded ones mainly for the numismatic value, the metal value is just secondary to me.
Thank you, this is very helpful feedback. I collected coins as a kid but for this purpose I have no ability or inclination to break out a numismatic component of the coin valuation. To the extent that coins sell for a small premium over spot or brick bullion I view that as a convenience fee, rent on a Mint's brand goodwill, future liquidation advantage. I think I like the Buffaloes/Maples/Krugerrands even more by your logic because the numismatic premium over metal value isn't outrageous. The CC payment premium over bank transfer is pretty much identical to the coin's metal premium over spot.

How easy do you find it to travel with coins? My girlfriend laughed at me when I told her it would be way easier to travel with 100K in gold coins than a stack of paper currency. "What are we, 19th century gypsies sewing coins into our clothes?"

Nice pickup on the first spouse sets! How often do those promotional discounts come up?