FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta to suspend Istanbul immediately
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:54 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
The US gov't recently evacuated non-essential personnel not just from the Incirlik area, but also from the Izmir and Bodrum areas. That very much surprised me as Izmir/Bodrum are some of the most secular areas in Turkey. (And something must have changed, as migrants have been passing through those areas for over a year.) It's too bad, SW Turkey is amazing.
I've never been in Izmir, but my impression is that it's a big city that's reasonably cosmopolitan and liberal, not at all filled with religious fundamentalists and terrorists. It would primarily be a business destination.

Bodrum seems much more permissive than Istanbul, although in both places you do see some women wearing headscarfs, etc. It's a major center for beach vacations combined with archaeology sites and historic forts, mosques, etc. IME you see more topless women on the beach and really tiny bikinis walking along the beach or in waterfront cafes and bars than you do in almost all USA resort areas. Openly gay couples are common, as are public displays of affection. There are bars and nightclubs that are open and crowded in the middle of the night in Bodrum. Yet there seem to be a lot of mosques that call the faithful to prayer at the required times.