FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 1:52 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ramosz83
I had an old AA mastercard from 2013 that was converted to a World Elite Platinum Select Mastercard. Unfortunately I closed it in November before applying for another card, I read the Wiki and it appears that closing that card might not affect me getting points for another card if I apply for a personal one. I just wanted to check and see if anyone has experience with that and knows if I can still get a sign up bonus from a personal card.
Let's assume for argument's sake that PETERPNYC's estimate of your chances of getting a signup bonus being at 25% are correct. Then the remaining 75% chance is that you'll have just added 5 months (the difference between November and April) before you can get a bonus again (since the new card you'll get will reset the 24-month clock).

If you had applied for that next card in December, you surely would have the bonus. Same if had waiting until January. But in February many people suddenly started not getting signup bonuses when they expected to (under the "rules" that worked until January). So you may waited too long.

If you still feel like going ahead with it, I recommend that you either use link 23, 22, or 21 (because no one has "tested" those yet, while at least one person has "failed" with all the other links in the wiki), or if you can find a pre-approved offer on the Citi site while logged in there, then that might be even safer.