FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 4:12 am
fdem
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by Montreal
So if you have MR points and don't want X to be high that's called 'having your cake and eating it too' which is not possible.

SPG to UA is 1:1 and UA to MR is 1:2 so it seems plausible that SPG to MR will be 1:2 worst case scenario and 1:2 point something better case scenario, considering that SPG gives 5K bonus when converting 20k points. It is also possible that they run two parallel program for some time beyond 2017 but the lifetime status is dicey since SPG is only nights and Marriott is a combination of nights + points earned or something. I'll be close to 400 nights by end of this year so I have lot at stake as well as some strategic decision making as to whether I'll stop at my average 50 nights next year or throw $5,000 for $100/night average hotel rate to lock in 100 nights and a lifetime status!
In my situation we don't really care about the conversion rate as we normally pay cash for our stays and send the points to BA. Am more concerned about keeping Lifetime and at the same time having the benefits. But from what I am reading we would be downgraded to gold. We qualified after 10 years and 500 nights (we now have around 600) so am wondering if when we reach 750 we would be upgraded back to platinum (for what it is worth). Don't understand the point system MR use if it is based on cash spend then we should be OK as all of our stays were cash in more high end properties like St Regis, W retreats and LC we should be way ahead, but who knows. My main priority is elite recognition, breakfast in resorts, lounge access, suite upgrades which have been consistent in the past, but time will tell!