FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2016 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004
Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:09 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chada
Not me personally but wanted your take on whether EU261 would apply to the situation my workmate found himself in:

What do the resident experts think? Is there a case for EU261 here (not sure as it cited weather but seems everything else at LHR took off ok around that time). If not is there any recourse for claiming the extra cost incurred re the car hire or is that one for Insurance?
28 March this year? That was Easter Monday and the significant weather disruption that day are well documented elsewhere in this forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...y-weather.html

A lot of FTers got caught up in this in various forms. So EC261 compensation is unlikely to apply in my view. As for consequential losses, BA formally don't cover those, that is for their insurers. But if the cost isn't too massive and they have a shiny BAEC card, they may get some gesture towards it. The alternative presumably would have been to sit it out 24 hours to get to IAD, so a re-route to RDU seems a very suitable outcome in the circumstances.