Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Potential Travel Disruption - Easter Monday Weather

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2016, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

An active Jet streak was due to develop 2 low pressures off the Canadian Eastern Seaboard. The first is already visible in the atlantic and due to reach the UK on Saturday. This will bring rain and winds for most of the UK

The second low is due to develop on Saturday night and cross the Atlantic (likely as a named storm) with Gales/Severe Gales across the south of the UK.

Update: The 06Z run has the low moving more quickly into the north sea and so the impact is lower
Old Mar 25, 2016, 5:41 am

I'm on a short haul sector on Moonday morning therefore hope any weather disruption passes without incident!

But then again, at LHR even a snowflake causes armageddon...
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Been keeping an eye on this, I see the Met Office have issued a yellow weather warning for 60mph gusts.

Glad I decided to overnight at Dublin Sunday and not do a B2B Monday at the start of my New York/Las Vegas trip.

Looks like my 5 hour lay over may have been a wise choice when I booked a few months ago. Will hope the BA835/183 isn't to badly affected.

Safe travels all........
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
That must be what we hit last night flying in from mia. Boing!
Old Mar 25, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Was a bit bumpy on flight to YYZ yesterday - not bad turbulence, but enough to have me tightening my seatbelt a bit (two or three times)
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

12Z models have changed the track slightly but the potential for disruption remains
Old Mar 26, 2016, 1:34 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Aye high winds forecast from about 4am-mid afternoon now. Seems to be swinging north to east as well. Suppose northerly is a problem for lhr with east/west runways.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Rather hoping our flight to CPH is cancelled so we can legitimately miss the last leg of our ex-EU...
Old Mar 27, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Rather hope my CPH flight is not cancelled since my ex-CPH trip actually needs to end up on the continent. If they do cancel the CPH flight and I miss my positioning flight home, would it be cheeky to try and persuade them to put me on the direct flight home from LHR?
Old Mar 27, 2016, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I really hope it is not that bad... I have dinner plans on Monday night in a far flung foreign land...!
Old Mar 27, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
TBH I don't think it will be that bad at LHR; the high cross-winds will be before it opens on Monday, with the daytime winds being due west. The only problem might be due to spacing between aircraft on approach.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Still model disagreement but it gernerally looks like the worst hit areas will be the south coast and that it will be worst between midnight and 4am.

Some models then have some higher NW winds from around 6am-9am

50 kts looks to be the max for LHR/LGW

EDIT: Some models develop sting jet conditions during the 6am-9am window

Last edited by smckay; Mar 27, 2016 at 12:17 pm
Old Mar 27, 2016, 11:59 pm

Departure board has taken a bit of a beating here at T5 this morning. A number of SH cancellations and major delays. ZRH has posted 3+ delay, glad I'm off to GVA instead with no delay indicated, but I'll not be counting any chickens yet...
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:05 am

Programs: QF Platinum
Inbound also starting to get affected - seeing diversions to BHX and MAN from some of the east coast USA services.

I must have been one of the lucky ones - came straight in on BA66 from PHL, no hold whatsoever. Landed 40 minutes ahead of schedule!

Edit - this looks far worse than at first glance. A380 services from SIN and JNB beng diverted to MAN and SNN respectively

Last edited by ThreeRT; Mar 28, 2016 at 12:12 am
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:15 am

Yeah I'm at MAN now, just seen an AA757 from RDU land and there's already two a388s one BA and one MAS which is odd to say the least, now a BA 747 too, doesn't look very windy out there but miserable non the less

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.