FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A comment on the Shinkansen (bullet) train
Old Aug 9, 2003, 7:08 am
1000k00
In Memoriam

Dan, good to read you enjoyed the trip to japan and thailand! I also would have recommended buying green-sha(1st class) vs ordinary class pass. Having reserved seats in hand can be invaluable during peak season and peak travel times. I find for the extra money green-sha is well worth the price. I have been successful in securing assigned seats about 95% of the time. I have had to stand for hours w/luggage when I have had to make a particular train to make the airport in time for flt home(hakata to Nrt). There were no seats reserved or non reserved available(good way to meet and talk w/locals). Inbound to Tokyo on Sun night can almost guarantee standing room only in all cars. I suppose if one tries for an earlier or later train they take their chances as to seats. Would you please clarify kyoto=coy o toe & Shin kin Sen pronounced like wisconsin. Romanji is pronounced like spanish or italian. I have always pronounced kyoto=key oh toh & shinkansen as sheen khan Sen. I was also glad to see you liked NH & TG as much as you stated. I have only flown TG in country(C class) and the flts were nice. Nh I have flown(F class) Jfk-Nrt-Jfk (c class)Nrt-Bkk-Nrt(2 class) and NH was indeed a nice experience! Thanks for your reports!

------------------
UNITED WILL STAND