FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cool Pubs in Ireland?
View Single Post
Old Jul 21, 2001, 8:33 pm
j379pa

I visited England and Scotland for the millenium change, but not Ireland, but I think my information may be relevant.

I did the "Stay on a Farm" program sponsored by the U.K. government, essentially bed and breakfasts out in the country on farms. They ranged from a true working farm near York to an absolute mansion on the Isle of Wight. None were over $40 (single, off season). All were clean, comfortable, and quiet.

Each of these places were able to recommend the best local pubs to visit, and I was never disappointed. It was, in fact, one of my favorite experiences of the trip, helping me visit some true local places that I wouldn't have otherwise.

So--my suggestion is to find a similar program for lodging, or at least plan to stay in locally owned places rather than "brand" hotels, get friendly with the management, and ask lots of questions!

If (when!) I ever get to Ireland, I want to visit Leo's pub up on a remote coast, which is where Clannad and Enya got their start. Leo is the father to several band members, and to Enya. A check of a few fan websites might put you onto the town.

You might also want to read Paul Theroux's book "The Kingdom by the Sea", about his walk around the coast of the UK. It includes a great story about a pub experience! You should be able to find it on amazon, or on bookfinder.com, a used book site.

Have fun!

JP

[This message has been edited by j379pa (edited 07-21-2001).]