FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Mileage Run/Calculation Question
View Single Post
Old Mar 27, 2016, 4:35 pm
rjw242

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TrAAveler8
(1) For connecting flight itineraries with at least one stop, if memory serves mileage is awarded based on actual mileage flown (i.e. distance from segment 1 to segment 2 and then segment 2 to segment 3), rather than distance from origin to final destination as if it were a nonstop flight - do I have that right?
This is true IF the segments have different flight numbers. If an onward segment has the same number, e.g. AA175 BOS-DFW connecting to AA175 DFW-NRT, then you earn miles as though it were a single nonstop flight (BOS-NRT in that example).

(2) Assuming I have the above correct, when I search online for connecting-flight routings between my city pairs that are deliberately less efficient on the AA site, I don't see options through hubs (i.e. Dallas) the same as I used to. What's the best way to create a deliberately inefficient but also inexpensive itinerary to accomplish my goals?
AA (and other airlines) have become pretty good about eliminating crazy routings on cheap fares. I'd suggest studying up on ITA Matrix and using that to search for multi-leg flights through specific hubs.

(3) If all else fails, what is the best methodology to search for the least expensive ticket that meets a specific mileage target?
Google Flights, and/or FlyerTalk's own Mileage Run forum. I'd actually use these as a first resort in your situation.