FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Mileage Run/Calculation Question
View Single Post
Old Mar 27, 2016, 4:20 pm
TrAAveler8

AA Mileage Run/Calculation Question

Hello all, this is my first post on the forum but I have visited the site many times - thank you for your sage advice.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I need to earn about 7,200 EQM no later than April 5, 2016. I am EXP. So a question in three parts:

(1) For connecting flight itineraries with at least one stop, if memory serves mileage is awarded based on actual mileage flown (i.e. distance from segment 1 to segment 2 and then segment 2 to segment 3), rather than distance from origin to final destination as if it were a nonstop flight - do I have that right? The obvious goal is to capture more miles by traveling on a longer connecting flight rather than a non-stop one.

(2) Assuming I have the above correct, when I search online for connecting-flight routings between my city pairs that are deliberately less efficient on the AA site, I don't see options through hubs (i.e. Dallas) the same as I used to. What's the best way to create a deliberately inefficient but also inexpensive itinerary to accomplish my goals?

(3) If all else fails, what is the best methodology to search for the least expensive ticket that meets a specific mileage target?

Thank you for your advice!