FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Quick Way to generate a small ~1000 or less miles for a redemption? (Consolidated)
Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:29 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
As others have said, the quickest way to get the 1,000 miles is to buy the 1,000 miles for $70, which should post nearly instantaneously to your account. That said, I would recommend evaluating the cost of the $70 you're spending for 1,000 miles to the total mile required for the ticket or what the cash value of the ticket would be if you bought it outright. If this is a 25K domestic US award for a ticket you could otherwise get for $250-$300, I would say spending $70 to get 1K miles to get the award is not necessarily the best return, and would likely recommend buying the ticket cash and saving the miles for your next award. OTOH, if this was a ticket that might otherwise might be really expensive (such as you're 700 miles shy of what you need for an Int'l Business award), then I would say spend the money to get the miles, book the ticket, and don't look back.
Good advice.

IIRC there are big economies of scale too in buying miles from DL, so if you need to buy a thousand, does it make sense to buy more of them for use later? In most circumstances the answer is no, but it's still something to consider.