FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on the decline of SQ First
View Single Post
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:30 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
SFO777, as much as I respect your opinion and reviews regarding all things first class, I'll beg to partly differ with you.

What I'll agree with is that the food isn't great, with the exception of the Lobster Thermidor. I don't know whether it's the same catering, but the four dishes my wife and I recently had while passing through The Private Room (flying SGN-SIN-NRT-LAX) were all mediocre. On our flights, the caviar was nice and the LT was great, but beyond that the food was so-so.

Wines I can't really opine on, as we generally stick with just the champagne and I'm simply pretty ignorant when it comes to vino.

Beyond that...I still love the F hard product and exceptional service. The IFE screen quality and selections were excellent. While TPR doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some other top lounges, it still offers superb ambiance and service.

As for SIN itself, I really like the gate-specific security and simply don't mind waiting a few minutes if there are folks in front of me. The F-specific immigration desk has come in handy when running late for a flight. And SIN remains my favorite airport in the world.

So...I guess it depends on what one prioritizes. I certainly understand your expecting a top F product in every way from a top airline. My own YMMV assessment is that the things that matter most to me - great hard product, great service, extremely reliable - are the things SQ continues to get right. And it also scores very well in terms of my next tier of priorities - very nice lounge, great bubbly, wonderful airport, good IFE.

Now, how SQ 380 F suites compare with EY's 380 F apartments is another matter. But I'll save that for another day.