FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Iceland Air Saga Class – Affordable way to fly transatlantic in business class
Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:17 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thumbs up Very useful report!

Thanks for this extremely useful report, Carfield! Really, one of the most useful TRs I've seen.

The info and impressions you provided are great in terms of: a) detailing an inexpensive way of getting to Iceland or across the Atlantic in a relatively comfortable (though clearly not luxurious) way, and b) warning us of the deficiencies in the service, so as to keep our expectations realistic.

In addition, I hadn't known you could accrue Alaska miles on Iceland Air.

Despite the deficiencies, I could see considering Iceland Air down the line.

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I think that there is an interesting discussion to be had here. On one hand, yes, this is technically a product going across the Atlantic, and as such, the comparison that one would tend to make would be to AA 77W J, BA CW, etc. etc. But in actuality, look at the flight mileages - JFK-KEF is 2590 mi. and KEF-CPH is 1330 mi. So that first one is about the length of LAX-PHL and the second about the length of DFW-PHL. On those flights, you're going to get a ratty old pmUS 320/321 with no legroom, no power, no IFE. Depending on time of day, you're not going to get a meal (nuts and a cookie for that LAX redeye). You're not going to get lounge access. And either of those flights could easily cost the $800 that the OP paid for both of his legs. He got what looks to be a pretty comfy recliner, a darn good biz lounge at JFK (BA Galleries), pretty tasty looking meals, IFE, power, and a chance to stretch his legs and hit another lounge with real food and drink in the middle. This is, in my humble opinion, not a bad way to travel, all things considered.

If you ask the question "Is this the best transatlantic business class product?" you're going to get one very obvious answer. If you ask the question "If this a good way to get to Copenhagen for $800?", then in my mind that's a completely different calculus. Barring huge sales, mistakes, or odd stackable discounts (BA + AARP, etc.), there aren't many non-economy options that exist at that price point. Having choices is, in my opinion, a good thing, and if I were spending my own dime and were not in a hurry, I'd totally consider this.
+1 in a big way. View this more as something like a American carrier's domestic F product for something like a cross-country trip, and it looks at lot better.

Originally Posted by fly747first
Yes, but if Saga is full, you will be in a regular Y seat, though in Comfort they block the middle one.
Even this could be somewhat appealing, given the better legroom (by sitting kind of sideways) and shoulder room that comes with Comfort.