FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Requirements for visiting Mexico 🇲🇽 as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa, etc.)
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:12 pm
Eastbay1K
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by thorbus
I had a couple of questions about the tourist card (FMM) required for Mexico.
I'm a UK citizen with a 9 hour layover coming up, flying Aeromexico from Guatemala City to LHR via MEX.

I assume if I stay in transit in the airport during my layover I do not need a tourist card? However, I'm contemplating popping into the city to fill some of that time, for which I know I'll need the FMM.

In the original post it says
Prior to or during your flight you should be given given two forms to fill out...... The ~$20 fee is normally paid by your airline if you are flying on and is included in your ticket price... However, if you don't receive the forms on the flight, extra copies are always available in the Mexican port of entry

So whether I get given a form on the plane, or collect one on arrival, how do I know if it is included in the air fare? Where/when do I pay if it is not? My flight is an award ticket, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!
tb
There is no "in transit" in Mexico. You formally enter the country upon arrival. I simply write "transito" on my form (for the local address) and have my connecting BP out for the immigration officer. Any taxes have been collected with my tickets, either with paid or award travel. Mexico has no formal exit procedure. Your transit card (lower part of the form returned to you) will be collected at the LHR departure gate.