FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - This week in TSA history starting January 1, 2016
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:08 am
petaluma1

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Thanks. I take no offense at Chollies comments, they had a bad experience, do not feel safe carrying prescription medicine due to that experience, and I am unable to alleviate that situation. I understand why they are mad, I understand the frustration that I am unable to do anything for them. I work for the social media group, but in small doses here and there moderating and commenting, not full time (although I wouldn't turn down that opportunity if it rolled by!). You accurately present how things are with me. I have seen incidents where I disagreed with what happened, but I address those correctly. If it is not an egregious breach, I approach the individual and attempt to coach them away from that type of behavior, if that fails I then approach the next position up the chain with my concerns. If it is egregious, I stop what is happening now, and bring the supe in to make certain that we address it now - properly. I have just never witnessed the level of insanity that some folks here post about - at GSO, LAX, RDU, PHX or CLT. I have seen some videos from CLT that were unacceptable, and forwarded them up my chain of command like I am supposed to - but seeing as though I am a front line Joe, I am not necessarily advised of what actions are taken in cases like that.

I appreciate the kind words.

As I have said before, I have never claimed that I have not seen bad behavior in the checkpoints I have worked. I have properly addressed it each time I have seen it. Even with seeing bad behavior while working, I have not seen it to the level that many here post about. Just because I post that I am happy to work at my airport, and that we do not seem to have the same types of problems that others post about, does not mean that I have not had to call someone out for doing something wrong. I think the worst thing I have seen in a checkpoint was a fellow TSO arguing with a passenger over something, and raising their voice - I stepped in and smoothed things over a bit, held to the SOP and sent the passenger on their way. That is something that some TSOs do not seem to grasp (at least based upon what I read here) - stick to the SOP, be professional and courteous and 99% of the time, there is no challenge. When that 1% shows up, most often it is frustration or anger creating it, and maintaining your cool works those situations out much better than yelling back and forth...

You grossly overestimate my ability to create change within TSA.

I have explained this to you several times, the green bar means it is ok, the red bar means no-go - out of literally hundreds of online interactions with people (some of them my own family), not a single other person has had a challenge understanding that. Being angry at TSOs/management not following the SOP, I understand 100%. Being confused by green bar =go, red bar = no go, I do not understand.

I beg to differ a bit, I personally address bad behavior when I see it - I also expect every other person that works for TSA to do the same thing (I also realize that is a bit unrealistic, but I can always hope).

I disagree, the real problem is that a Cop felt the need to beat down someone with no justification. The cop witnesses not taking proper action is connected, but a different problem entirely.

For the record, any passenger can ask for an STSO if they feel that TSOs are not following the SOP or have exhibited behavior that they consider unprofessional. They can also request to speak to a TSM - however, in many cases the TSM is not necessarily a realistic request, as they may not be onsite, or available within a reasonable time frame.

*Many have requested the presence of the FSD (or some of the folks on an FSDs staff) - I personally have never heard of an FSD showing up at a checkpoint to address a traveler concern, as the vast majority of FSDs are not actually at the checkpoint or maybe not even at the airport. I have heard of a few situations where an AFSD have shown up at a checkpoint to address a passenger concern, but never an FSD.

* I added this for some of the folks I have seen asking about the FSD or telling others to ask for the FSD - you can ask, but it would be a highly improbable thing for an actual FSD to show up at a checkpoint to resolve a passenger complaint.
<deleted>, spend some time reading the comments at AskTSA; if you open your mind, you will be educated into what goes on across the board at TSA checkpoints.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 26, 2017 at 2:02 pm Reason: Privacy