FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:10 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aabey D'mello
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It is safe to cancel any Citi AA Plat card that has been already converted to WE. Opens and closes of cards that have been converted to WE don't prevent you from getting the next bonus. (The only thing that wouldn't be safe would be cancelling a Citi Plat MC World card which never got converted to WE.)

However, to maximize your chances of approval for subsequent cards, the important thing is to ask (perhaps via Secure Message) to have your credit limit reduced as soon as you can (but hopefully at least a while or more before you apply for another card. Credit limit that's reduced becomes available to new applications faster than credit limit "free'd up" from cancelled cards.
Thanks sdsearch for trying this out. Are there any other reports that closing a converted WE card doesn't affect a bonus on a future card?
What do you mean "thanks for trying it out"? I didn't say I tried it out, did I?

This has been reported by many many people here. In fact it has been discussed recently that for many of us the pattern is apply for card #1, get W->WE on card #1, apply for card #2, get W->WE on card #2, apply for card #3, cancel card #1, get W->WE on card #23, apply for card $4, cancel card #2, etc.

Now, while it is the case that I have done it myself too, I wasn't reporting that (in what you quoted). I was simply reporting what it is accepted "crowdsourced" knowledge around here.

If you want that much more proof, spend the time reading 100s upon 100s of posts! The proof is out there, if you're willing to invest the time (gradually, as many of have done, but perhaps for you by "binging", as you would have to do if you haven't been doing it gradually).

Or you can just take our collective word for it.