FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:10 am
RobertHanson

Originally Posted by CynthiaD
Just got a call from Chase this morning. They verified some info and then asked if I'd like to move some credit from one of my other cards in order to open the BA card since they can't extend any more credit to me. Of course I told them I'd be happy to! (which is what I had in mind already).

Approved! Woohoo!

Just to recap. Applied for Chase BA on Jan 16. Not auto-approved and have been getting the "we'll notify you in 30 days" on the automated phone line.

Much relieved now!
Congratulations of course.

But now it's time to deal with that "they can't extend any more credit to me". Assuming you ever want to get another Chase card, look over the CLs you have on your Chase cards, and find the ones where you have much more CL than you would ever want to use in a single billing period. Then SM Chase to reduce that to a more reasonable level. You got lucky this time, as sometimes Chase lets folks move CL from existing cards to new apps, and sometimes they refuse. Additionally, it's pretty well documented that it's easier to get approved without calling in. But since you are at the max CL that Chase will give you, right now calling in is required. If you lower your total Chase CL significantly, you won't have to do that anymore.

You can SM Chase right from your cc webpage, and it's utterly painless since you don't even need to speak with anyone. Just say "please lower the credit line on my account ending in XXXX to $X,XXX" and send that off. Best of course to make and pay off the min spnd on a new card before doing this, but existing cards can be lowered right now.