FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Botswana Safari Selection Issue
View Single Post
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:37 am
SanDiego1K
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Larkin
For game viewing in my experience nothing beats Mombo. Having said that I hear Chiefs is good too. We have been to a number of lodges in Botswana which we have really enjoyed but for game we felt Mombo was by far the best. Maybe that has changed with the drought? Don't know.
Thanks, Larkin, appreciate the thoughts. I went back to the agent and asked about Mombo. She raved about it but not their December pricing. It's $5K/night in top season and only drops the price about 10% off season. That's double what other top properties charge that time of year. Now, it's entirely possible that the price is justified based on the great game viewing for which it is known. I tried to get a quote for a couple nights there with other nights elsewhere but I felt I was rolling a boulder up the hill. The camps put together pricing that promotes staying with their family. In the end, I've gone with Belmond. They have a Nov/Dec package that throws in all the inter camp flights for free. The agent had been to two of the three Belmond properties in early December, the time we will travel this year, and had fantastic game viewing. I think it was Jao where she stayed and they had to drive 1 1/2 hours one way to find good game. Who knows if December 2015 game viewing will be predictive of December a year on, but it is the best I have to go on.