FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling with Ties
View Single Post
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:42 pm
Feorlen

Rolling works well for all sorts of stuff. Regular ties are cut on the bias, which tends to wrinkle less anyway. (I haven't seen a knit tie in some time, and I hope to keep it that way.) Just be careful to not overdo it if you try the hotel shower steam treatement with something that's dry clean only. Some things water spot, and many common tie fabrics are particularly bad in this respect.

If it still needs help, that handy iron in the closet of many American hotels will do fine. Use a low setting and iron it through a thin plain cloth to protect the surface. A standard-issue poly/cotton hotel bedsheet is fine.

Don't tell anybody I said so, but I've been known to iron directly on the bed. It's of course terribly unsafe and I would never recommend anybody try it, but I do it at home because I don't have a decent ironing board. (It helps that my bed is tall and I am not.) It is indeed dangerous if you use too hot a setting, leave the iron on the soft surface, knock it off the bed, drop it on your foot, etc. "Professional Driver. Closed Course."

I haven't actually tried to pack ties, not being a guy either. But I did shove an evening gown into an overhead bin and have it survive. The Boyfriend is still wondering what physical laws were broken to get the crinoline in that bag...