Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Ties

Traveling with Ties

Old Sep 28, 2003, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Plat Elite, SPG Gold, National Emerald Club
Traveling with Ties

Did a search, didn't come up with much -- I've got some nice ties that I like to travel with. I'm afraid that, during some long flights, or if i'm to lazy to unpack, my ties would get wrinkled or creased.

How do >you< pack your ties?
Old Sep 29, 2003, 12:58 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Well, I'm not a guy so I don't wear ties. But why not just roll them up?
Old Sep 29, 2003, 4:25 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I just throw them in last, and iron them when I get there...
Old Sep 29, 2003, 6:40 am

There are items specifically made for carrying ties in a suitcase. The one I have is hard-sided and zippered, and opens up to include up to 4 ties. The ties are held in place by elasticized bands.

Not sure where you'd find them, but I'd look in travel shops or suitcase stores.

(The idea of rolling would probably work, but I can't get the image if Dilbert's tie out of my mind.)
Old Sep 29, 2003, 7:14 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There are a couple of choices if you want ot go the retail route. One is a flat case, that carries them folded in half. Obviously if you don't want to go the retail route a couple of pieces of cardboard and a couple of rubber bands would serve the same purpose.

ebags has several:

http://www.ebags.com/Travel_Accessor...sub_site_ID=24

The other choice is a tie roller that I've seen in catalogs, but haven't purchased yet, though they do intrigue me. An example is at:

http://www.etravelergear.com/tiecaddy.html

Me, I roll them up and stuff them in my shoes, and if necessary iron them when I get there, thougn someday when I'm ordering something else from one of the catalogs I'll toss in a couple of the roll up things.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 2:12 pm

If you have a stack of shirts or ties in your suitcase already, just wrap the ties all the way around that bundle. They won't fold back on themselves directly, so no crease will be able to form. Just make sure that the last part of the tie is flat against another shirt/pair of clothing.

If you use a garmet bag, just hang a pair of pants on a hanger, drape your ties over, and throw on another pair of pants.

If you are a carry-on traveller, this will probably take up a lot less room than a tie case.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm primarily leisure travel, so I rarely take ties unless I'm going somewhere where I'll be eating a dinner or something that will require a tie - but when I do go, I just use a tiebox from Hechts - when you buy ties, if it's a "gift tie" (i.e. father's day or something) they have free tie-boxes to package them in that are flat cardboard boxes - if it gets pressured, it's not a big deal b/c the cardboard kepts it straight...and then when i get to the hotel or whereever i'm staying, i unpack & hang up the ties first...
Old Sep 29, 2003, 3:22 pm

As a former tie mfg, let me offer some advice. Smooth the tie out on a flat surface face down, start at the tail (small end) and roll the tie until it is completely rolled up, place in your suitcase, you can pack on top of the ties and it will not crease them. This will also take wrinkles out of ties, leave them rolled for several days. There is no need to buy apparatuses to prevent wrinkles as this works. I did place my ties in baggies to prevent damage from accidental leaks.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:42 pm

Rolling works well for all sorts of stuff. Regular ties are cut on the bias, which tends to wrinkle less anyway. (I haven't seen a knit tie in some time, and I hope to keep it that way.) Just be careful to not overdo it if you try the hotel shower steam treatement with something that's dry clean only. Some things water spot, and many common tie fabrics are particularly bad in this respect.

If it still needs help, that handy iron in the closet of many American hotels will do fine. Use a low setting and iron it through a thin plain cloth to protect the surface. A standard-issue poly/cotton hotel bedsheet is fine.

Don't tell anybody I said so, but I've been known to iron directly on the bed. It's of course terribly unsafe and I would never recommend anybody try it, but I do it at home because I don't have a decent ironing board. (It helps that my bed is tall and I am not.) It is indeed dangerous if you use too hot a setting, leave the iron on the soft surface, knock it off the bed, drop it on your foot, etc. "Professional Driver. Closed Course."

I haven't actually tried to pack ties, not being a guy either. But I did shove an evening gown into an overhead bin and have it survive. The Boyfriend is still wondering what physical laws were broken to get the crinoline in that bag...
Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:01 pm

I roll my ties around one unit of a clean pair of socks - and then wrap the other unit of the pair over the tie - creating a nice secure ball that doesn't crease or get dirty. Never had a problem in many years of traveling with ties.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dudrop:
As a former tie mfg, let me offer some advice. Smooth the tie out on a flat surface face down, start at the tail (small end) and roll the tie until it is completely rolled up... </font>
Ditto that. I rarely need ties, but when I do, it is usually unannounced. So, I just keep one rolled up in a plastic baggie in my suitcase. Never had a problem with wrinkles, etc.

fiat_owner

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.