FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:13 pm
JY1024
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by voodoogirl
So, if that 100k ticket doesn't happen, I may spring for MCE seats in Y, booking both seats with TYP so I can purchase MCE, as booking Y with AA miles I wouldn't be able to buy those seats. Does that make the kiosk upgrade offer less likely, if you have already purchased MCE?
Don't think it makes a difference. I've been in MCE/exit row and still been offered a kiosk upgrade before. (This was on a transatlantic flight.) But just to re-iterate what many have already said in this thread: kiosk upgrades DO happen- but they're by far NOT the norm for most routes. AA's been trying hard to keep their premium cabins full, especially on long-haul flights where premium seats + cargo can make/break the profitability of a route.

Originally Posted by voodoogirl
If I boost to Gold, what does that do for me for options of purchasing the 500 mile increments? I tried reading the AA page on that and South America is not listed so maybe the question is moot. I'm still a bit unclear about those.
500-mile upgrades can only be used for domestic* flights.

* "Domestic" to AA mean 50 United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, Bermuda as well as between the United States and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua or Panama).