FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Egypt - Safe to Travel?
View Single Post
Old Jan 31, 2016, 9:02 pm
jaymar01

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by picards007
Just spent 3 nights in Cairo last week, which coincided with the 5th anniversary of the Arab Spring. Overall, I felt safe, although the security measures might be a little off putting for some: police checkpoints with armed guards and K9 units to get into the major western-style hotel complexes. Metal detectors and baggage screening entering your hotel. Barricades and more armed guards at the major tourist sites. Our tour guides on both days said the security at the tourist sites has been roughly the same since the 1980s, but we weren't too sure how much stock to put into that... However, trips to other places in the developing world have similar levels of security (my travel partner said during his trips to Delhi and Dhaka that similar security measures are in place at the hotels).

If the security measures are not off-putting, visiting Cairo and seeing the wonders of the ancient world are truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Get a good tour guide (we had great success with Viator) and transfers to/from the airport to make things easier.
For anybody who'd find Egypt's security measures are off-putting....I'd strongly suggest you avoid Santa Clara, CA this week during Super Bowl 50 activities.