Search

Egypt - Safe to Travel?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPPS, Delta Platinum, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Egypt - Safe to Travel?

Hi everyone,

Have planned a trip to Egypt for December - specifically Cairo, Luxor and Aswan. With many travel advisories warning against travelling to Egypt, would like to hear if anyone has had recent experiences there. Is it as dangerous as it sounds?

Any information would be great. Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by bigbanana14
Hi everyone,

Have planned a trip to Egypt for December - specifically Cairo, Luxor and Aswan. With many travel advisories warning against travelling to Egypt, would like to hear if anyone has had recent experiences there. Is it as dangerous as it sounds?

Any information would be great. Thanks!
Short answer: no.

There's an awful lot in this thread about the subject. You'll be going to a a couple of tourism hot-spots (though Aswan manages to have something of a life outside tourism), so expect constant low-level hassle until you get used to things - but no overt or immediate dangers.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:30 pm

Egypt - Safe to Travel?

I was there in May, just before the elections and felt perfectly safe walking around Cairo and the main tourist areas.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the help guys. Will go ahead as planned then. Really looking forward to a much less crowded experience!
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the help guys. Will go ahead as planned then. Really looking forward to a much less crowded experience!
And of course the less crowdedness is the reason you might expect even more focussed hassle, particularly around the Giza site and in Luxor - a city that has lives off tourism. The other interpretation of this is that you will be very welcome!
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:46 pm

I just returned from a 5-day trip through Cairo/Luxor/Aswan/Abu Simbel and felt perfectly safe throughout. Crowds were noticeably absent, and shopkeepers are accordingly much more aggressive (and just about every site requires you to navigate through some bazaar).
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by rmannion
I just returned from a 5-day trip through Cairo/Luxor/Aswan/Abu Simbel and felt perfectly safe throughout. Crowds were noticeably absent, and shopkeepers are accordingly much more aggressive (and just about every site requires you to navigate through some bazaar).
That is where a good guide will earn their tip, by keeping the touts away, while never taking you to a perfume, papyrus, or rug shop.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
Make sure you travel on Egypt air or one of the other airlines that use its terminal and don't go to the other terminal.... Savage place.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: ::US,UA,CO+ currently non-rev Plat
going to Egypt in times like these is much better based on my experience. I went a month after the revolution in 2011 and things were a lot cheaper and I had a ton more bargaining power over the touts when arranging things. Luxor was a steal back then.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Was there last February for 10 days. Not a better time to visit. Had many of the pyramids and antiquities too myself. I was the only person in King Tuts (not so exciting) tomb. AWESOME experience. Although once you've been in one pyramid, you've been in them all!

Luxor was a bit busy since it lined up with an Egyptian holiday, but still a great trip. My guide was top notch (PM for details) and as mentioned above kept the desperate touts away and catered to my every need. Even walked around Tahrir Sq and the remains of Mubarak's Gov't offices.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 1:29 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rivlinm
Was there last February for 10 days. Not a better time to visit. Had many of the pyramids and antiquities too myself. I was the only person in King Tuts (not so exciting) tomb. AWESOME experience. Although once you've been in one pyramid, you've been in them all!
Going into the pyramids might become tedious, but what's visible at Giza is hardly the same as seeing those at Saqqara and Dashur.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Going into the pyramids might become tedious, but what's visible at Giza is hardly the same as seeing those at Saqqara and Dashur.
Saqqara is very impressive, especially if you're an aficionado of pyramids surrounded by wooden scaffolding.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
.....what's visible at Giza is hardly the same as seeing those at Saqqara and Dashur.
That reads like pyramid one-upmanship!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:11 pm

I find going to Dashur the best place to see the Pyramids without touts or crowds. You get to see the Bent pyramid and the Red pyramid up close and can go into the Red pyramid if you want. Also not close, but very visible is the Black pyramid from both.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

To follow up, I'm coming near the end of my trip in Egypt and everything has been amazing so far. Especially enjoyed my time in Luxor. As many have mentioned it's a great time to visit without the usual crowds.

Just got to get used to the hustlers and touts who tend to get quite persistent.

Have a great holiday season everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.