FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ideas for ~3 weeks in Iran & The Caucasus
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:26 pm
LAX_Esq

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by invisible
Also, I would suggest to skip one day in Tbilisi and go to Kakheti wine country/Signaghi instead. I do like my home city (I mean Tbilisi) but I'd rather not spend full three days there - every single time I arrive, my throat is in pain due to air pollution. Also while in Tbilisi half day should be spent for Mtskheta/Djvari.
Of course, I don't actually mean 3 days in the city when I say 3 days in Tbilisi. I just had us being based there for that long. I figure one day in the city, and 2 days of day trips.

Is that a good breakdown of time in Tbilisi vs. Kazbegi? Seems people sometimes do Kazbegi as a day trip, or an overnight trip. Don't know if 2 nights is too much and shortchanging Georgia. Also, would it make sense to do Kazbegi before Tbilisi, as in Yerevan directly to Kazbegi, and then back to Tbilisi?

Also don't know about the logistics of this -- both the day trips and, especially, getting between Tbilisi and Kazbegi. Definitely don't want to drive a rental car. Marshrutkas seem difficult if you're on a quick schedule because you can't stop and see things on the day. Day trips from the Envoy Hostel seem good, but it's unreliable since they're not operated every day. A private driver who speaks limited English (don't need a full guide) is an option, but it will add up in cost to do this every day.