FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kroger master thread (2016 to 2018)
View Single Post
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:42 pm
storewanderer

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
I don't understand why more places don't implement this policy. To me it's super easy and almost fool proof. Check ID, check the receipt matches last 4 on card, and you're good to go. It's simple and I think anyone could learn this process in one lesson. If you work behind the counter, you should be able to handle this.

Now I have stores that want to call in and authorize the charge after they were hit with fraud. They do that, hand me my card back, and then I'm free to swipe another card. Behind the counter, they have no clue if I'm swiping something else. It's idiotic. Or the stores that want to swipe the card for me because they have had people try to switch cards after they match it to ID. But they don't check the last 4. Or the stores that now want me to sign a paper receipt to combat fraud.

No wonder they have such problems with fraud! I almost feel like the deserve it sometimes...
If they do a Code 10 they should be manually inputting the Auth Code that the Code 10 Operator gives them. If they are doing a call for authorization then having you swipe the card like normal I don't think they will be guaranteed payment in the event of fraud. Maybe I am wrong.

Do they stay on the line and then, after the card processes, provide the auth code to the Code 10 Operator to have it documented?

I would think at that point it would be caught that the wrong card was swiped? Otherwise their call for auth was pointless.

Anyone who wants to do a large enough fraud will get a fake ID. Showing ID provides a false sense of security. Very false. For in person transactions we need Chip and PIN on credit cards. That would address a lot of these issues.